Tuesday 5 June 2012

An Expedition to Mount Kinabalu

After months of intensive bone cracking training
Enduring muscles pain and physical exhaustion
'd' day has finally come

Checking in to Pine Resort in Kundasang
Enjoying the cool weather at the foot of Mount Kinabalu
Connecting my life with the serene nature

Pine trees are everywhere, my thought goes to Alpine countries
Complemented by the signature fern trees
Synonymous to the highland area

Waking up in the morning is so refreshing
Standing tall right in front of me is the gigantic Mount Kinabalu
The view painted from the wooden door of my chalet is simply breathtaking

Seizing the moment without any hesitation
As if the amazing view of the mountain would be stolen if I did not act fast
I press the shutter instantly to capture the unforgettable, magnificent view

Our expedition begins with tracking up using the long Mesilau trail
Having the luxury of time, I slowly track up while enjoy the scenery along the trail
Reaching Laban Rata after 8 long hours as stopping and pressing the shutter is simply irresistible

Temperature drops drastically to minus in the middle of the night
Hiking with only a headlight and the guiding rope, I gasp for air from time to time
Resisting the extremely cold air and fighting for the scarce oxygen

From time to time I stop for a short break and lie on my back
Gazing up at the stars in the night sky, expressing my wildest wish to them
My life fuses with the great cosmos and time freezes for a moment

I wish to stay on there forever and I must witness the legendary, beautiful sunrise
Pressing forward one step after another in total exhaustion
I tell myself it is one step closer and I cannot give up at that moment

The magical moment happens when you least expect it
I witness the first ray of sunlight from South Peak right in front of me
The amazing reflection of the peak is vividly and beautifully reflected onto the clouds

The sunlight shines on South Peak breaking the cold darkness of the night
The red and orange colours reflect on the peak cause it to shine in gold
The clouds are also painted with light orange and yellow above the toned blue layers

20 minutes later I reach the highest peak of Mount Kinabalu - Low's Peak (4095m)
Standing on top of the 'world' I am totally exhausted and fulfilled
"Mount Kinabalu, I am here" I shout my lung out!

I see clouds surrounding me, like infinite numbers of white cottons
Arranged in different tiers expanding outward
I feel as if I were in the heaven

What a memorable highland experience!